What is risk surcharge?
It is a provision from the company for the benefit of the customer to protect against the transit risks when the goods are not insured by the consignor. The coverage is extended if the customer chooses to avail the provision by paying the stipulated risk coverage charges. This should not be construed as insurance cover as risk surcharge cover will have only a limited liability on the part of the company subject to the terms and conditions laid out.
Applicability of risk surcharge
Risk surcharge is applicable to all Premium Express Services and consignments booked under services offered with airway bill series that begin with - D, E, V and W. However, products and consignments that are booked under ‘Mentioned Piece’ will only have Mentioned Piece charges as levied covering the risk.
- DTDC Plus and DTDC Blue: Maximum shipment value is restricted to Rs. 25,000/- per consignment.
- COD /TO PAY/D Series: Maximum shipment value is restricted to Rs. 50,000/- per consignment.
- Consignments booked under “F” and Regional series shall have limited liability of Rs. 100/- per consignment only.
- Any content of declared invoice value greater than INR 1500 is recommended to be booked by the Consignor opting for carrier risk surcharge up to a maximum value limit as per the service category.
- Over and above the maximum value limits the consignments should carry the insurance cover by the consignor as mandatory requirement.
- Whenever the risk coverage is done by way of own insurance cover by the consignor a COF charge is levied at the rate of 0.2% of the declared value of the shipment content.
- If a consignment is neither covered under carrier risk surcharge nor under its own insurance policy by the consignor (Owner’s Risk), the maximum liability on any claim due to loss or damage is restricted to Rs. 500/-
- All consignments under VAS and D series should be complete with all relevant documents like invoice, Tax forms etc as applicable. It is the responsibility of the consignor to provide the necessary documentation. Any failure in this regard to comply with any of the terms and conditions laid down under the contractual terms of the carriage will make all liability clauses on part of the carrier null and void.
- Consequential losses of any kind will not be considered.